Tuesday, July 17, 2001

Most of the gang went to the Zoo on Monday. They re-did the gorilla exhibit. We also saw the polar bears and their cubs. It was weird hauling around 4 babies. It's a lot of work. After we drove home, I had a nap.

M&S are both unemployed right now. M should have to the skills to get a good job, however she'd rather stay home with their baby right now. S always seams to be loosing his job.

Monday evening, I went downtown, and had drinks with Liam. He's doing ok. We talked about the re-rise of AIDs in Toronto. One thing I noticed here, that I didn't see in Seattle was these very muscled guys with very thin faces, like their cheeks had collapsed. Liam said that for some guys who had been on the drug cocktails for 5 years, the cocktails would lose there effectiveness. The end result was that full blown AIDS is resurfacing. I didn't see this in Seattle, although I don't live in on Capital hill so I rarely see HIV+ guys. When I lived in Toronto, these guys looked healthy. It's only been with the passage of years that the change has slapped me in the face.

I moved to Seattle from Toronto 4 years ago now.

We also talked about maintaining friendships with straight couples after they have kids. Already my friends have changed a lot, and I have to put much more effort into our friendships. Liam told me that it gets even worse as the kids grow up. At least now, the babies aren't too mobile and can't talk. But in a year or two, the babies will be all over the place and my friends must be on constant guard. That's when they really change.

Even so, I will continue to put effort into staying friends with them.

Tuesday, G&J's baby Y, went to day care. G&J and I went to Ikea and bought some furinture. Then we went to Milestones and had a baby free lunch.

In the evening, we went over to J&J's for dinner. J&J also have a baby who is about 6 months younger than Y. Just as G&J were leaving, my other friends, E&J and M&S showed up with their babies. We sat around and chatted a bit more. G&J left early because Y was getting cranky. E&J left next. Finally, I walked M&S and their baby back to their place. Then I walked home to G&J's

So many babies.

No comments:

Analytics