Monday, July 01, 2002

So Cor did spend the weekend with Bill, the nice guy for Portland.

For my vacation I drove down the coast to L.A. to visit my friend Andy. I relaxed, partied a lot and tramped around a bit. Just to get it out of my system.

I started driving Tuesday afternoon-- June 18th. I made it to Portland by Tuesday evening. I met a nice guy there-- Tom. Tom is a Traffic Cop.

Wednesday I drove from Portland to the Pacific coast and started down Hwy 101. It is a beautiful drive. I stopped at a few beaches and walked along the ocean. I spent Wednesday night at a little motel by the ocean. I don't remember where. It was about 10:30pm. I saw a vacancy sign. So, I stopped and got a room.

Thursday I continued driving down the coast. There are very few radio stations along the southern Oregon coast so I set my radio to 'scan' For a long time received nothing. Then over the radio I heard "The brilliance of the sun delights and blesses us all." Then the radio station cut out. It was a weird surreal moment.

By Thursday evening I made it to San Francisco. I had a beer at the Lone Star Saloon. A very effeminate bear chatted me up. He bragged to me that he was on the cover of "American Bear" magazine. I guess he thought that made him very desirable. As if to emphasize that point, he told me a story of a guy who, a few months ago, didn't want to have sex with him because he was HIV+. But, since he appeared on the American Bear cover, the guy emailed him a few times, wanting to get together.

I left the Lone Star and went to the Eagle. A couple of Ok bands were on stage. I listened to them for a couple of hours and then went back to the hotel.

Friday morning I was tired of driving a long the coast. I went inland and took the I-5 down to L.A. I finally got to my friend Andy's place at around 6pm.

After Andy and I had dinner, he sent me off to the Faultine. Andy likes hairless twinks. I prefer regular men. So, we never agree on what clubs or bars to go to.

Andy lives a very different life than I do. He has no qualms about going to orgies, having open relationships, or just sleeping around. I met Andy about five years ago when he lived in Seattle. He didn't like Seattle because there wasn't enough sun and men. Now that he's in L.A. he's definitely taking advantage of both.

Some things concern me about Andy. He is chasing a 25yo guy named Rob. Rob is with another man. Rob would like to leave the other man for Andy, but Andy won't let Rob take drugs-- Rob's current partner lets Rob have all the drugs he wants.

Drugs seam to be very popular in L.A. Especially in West Hollywood. Sunday was L.A. pride and Andy's friend Frank threw a Pride party. One of the guests had a drug overdose (Probably GHB and Alcohol) I was no more than ten feet from the collapse and saw the whole thing. The guy fell and hit his head on the way down. Then for the next few minutes he went into seizures. He bit his tounge and some blood came out of his mouth. They managed to get a wooden spoon into his mouth so he could chomp down on that.

Someone called 911.

Next, the guy went rigid. Every muscle in his body pulled tight. After a minute of that, he started to relax. He was breathing very deeply and regularly, but he was still very out of it.

Finally the paramedics arrived. The guy started to come out of his stupor. He crossed his legs his legs like he was trying to act casual and normal. He still wasn't answer the paramedics questions like "What's your name?"

After a few more moments he started to talk and sit up. The paramedics wanted to carry him out, but the guy wanted to walk. When the paramedics tried to hold him and support him, the guy panicked and tried to flee. He started screaming at the top of his lungs "Ahhhh! You can't take me away! Ahhh! You can't arrest me!" This went on for a long time. It took 10 paramedics and fire fighters to hold the guy down and tie him to a stretcher. They couldn't sedate him because they didn't know what he was on.

I don't know how long it was before they finally took him away. Andy and I have never done drugs (Except Pot) We both agreed there was no reason to start.

A few days later Andy, Frank and I had dinner together. Frank told us the rest of the story. The guy had just become a Dean of a College in Alabama. He had a boyfriend who didn’t condone his drug use, but let the guy travel around to party and get it out of his system. The guy didn’t remember anything that happened that day. The police weren’t going to charge the guy. He should be very grateful for that. His career would be over.

I just re-read the above story. Everything I write after this seems insignificant.

Monday night Andy and I saw The Importance of Being Earnest. A good movie, especially if you like Oscar Wilde. Afterwards Andy and I skinny dipped in Andy's pool. We moved to the hottub and started drinking gin and tonics. We started talking and bull shitting and gossiping and teasing. That's the thing I miss most about Andy-- the conversation. Eventaully, Andy brought me another drink and asked "What time do you think it is?" I thought it was about 12:30am, but said 1:00am. Andy smiled and told me to look at a clock. I got out of a hot tub and looked at the kitchen clock. It was 3:30am. I didn't believe that clock so I went to my bedroom. It also said 3:30am. I wented back to the hot tub. The two of us laughed about the time.

We went to bed by 4:00am. We both wolk up hung over. For a few days afterwards when ever we went anywhere, one of us would quip "Wouldn't gin and tonic be good right now?" and the other would mock vomit.

During the Day I hung around Andy's pool, swam, read and relaxed. We took day trips to a few places. We saw an Andy Warhol exhibit. I learnt that I don't like Andy Warhol.

Wednesday night, Frank, Andy and I had dinner together. Afterwards Frank took me on a tour of the bear bars of L.A. And, after that, he brought me to a Sex Club. It was ok. It smelt bad. I did get laid.

I left L.A. Friday morning. Originally I was going to spend Friday evening in San Francisco. But, I didn't. I had enough of the fast, cruisy life. I drove on to Lake Shasta and spent the night there.

I made it to Portland by late afternoon on Saturday. I called Tom up and we had dinner. He's a good man, but it's going to be hard to spend time with him. He's on a retrograde schedule, so his free time doesn't always line up with the weekends. Also, Portland is three hours away from Seattle.


No comments:

Analytics