Saturday, January 26, 2002

The Accident.

The accident wasn't that exciting. It happened at around 10pm on November 5th 1998; the first heavy rain of the year. I had dinner downtown, including a pint of beer. I drove back home at about 55mph (to my recolection) I was driving in the right lane of the 520. A white SUV infront of me started to quickly slow down. I slowed down to keep pace with the SUV. Then the SUV jumped to the left lane. In front of the SUV was a car going much more slowly. I couldn't slow down faster to avoid the car, and I rear-ended it.

Her car was a written off. When I rear-ended it, I pushed it into the guard rails. The front end of my truck was all smashed up. There were no critical injuries. An ambulance appeared, looked over her and let her go.

I was charged with driving too fast given the circumstances. I was also given a field sobriety test. Nothing materialized from that.

Well, three years pass and I never heard from her. Because I haven't had any other claims or traffic infractions since then my insurance rates finally returned to normal. Not that they were that high-- we're talking about a 10% difference. Then, Thursday night while I was cooking dinner, I heard a knock at the door. A woman asked me if I was BC. I said yes. She handed me some paper work and left.

The paper work doesn't say how much she is asking for. She alleges that I was driving 75mph and she was driving 45. She also said I made no effort to stop. As a result of the accident she is in constant pain and experiencing an associated loss of quality of life. She was single at the time. She's married now. Here husband is also suing. As a result of the accident, he is experiencing a loss of companionship from her.

No comments:

Analytics