Wednesday, March 13, 2002

I've had a quiet couple of days. I worked a bit late. I've been playing with my digital camera, and some software. I'm going to put some effort into getting better at photography. It's a much better use of my time than playing video games, or hanging around internet chat rooms.

Last Saturday I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements for my camera. The mall I bought it at was out of the way. While I was there, I really noticed the Seattle split. Seattle has two separate cultures. There is the hi tech industry centered around Microsoft in Redmond. Here six figure salaries are common. Bachelors can afford to live in nice $200,000.00 homes and still have a 401K, every one drives a great car and the restaurants are all high class.

Then there is blue collar Seattle; largely based around Boeing in South Seattle and Everett. $50,000.00 salaries are common. Couples struggle to make payments on $150,000.00 homes and funded the down-payment from their 401K. Most everyone's vehicles are well used and the restaurants are mediocre.

So, last Saturday when I had lunch at the mall, I noticed that the crowd was very different. No designer cloths, lots of faded jeans. I looked at myself and thought "Can they pick me out? Do they realize I'm not blue collar? Some of these guys are really hot. How can I meet these guys?"

No comments:

Analytics