Friday, September 13, 2002

Stupid Friendships.

Thursday at noon I dropped by Bruce's office to see if he wanted to have lunch. He was very short with me, said he was busy and couldn't make it to lunch. When I got back, I had this piece of email...

----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce
To: BC

BC,
I am not happy about the events on Tuesday night so I think we have to take a break from each other for awhile.


This kind of confused me. A bit later I got this message from C3...

----- Original Message -----
From: C3
To: BC

Hey BC,
Thank you for taking the time to send me these pictures, they look really great.
It was nice to have you at my party, and to spend some more time with you.
I need to tell you something as a friend, and as Bruce's partner.
You hitting Bruce on the head, was and is, completely inappropriate.
You not only ruined the party for him, you hurt him physically as well.
I don't know what you thought you were doing, but I do know that
an explanation to him and apology is in order.

C3


Did I hit Bruce on the head? Yes, I slapped him. It wasn't very hard, Bruce didn't say 'ow' or stop me or back away. There were no marks. In fact, he laughed.

This is what I wrote Mathew about the incident...

Last Tuesday was C3's birthday. The restaurant that
Bruce brought us to has really great desserts, Even so, Bruce brought a big
birthday cake. Well, during cake Bruce and I were talking and I
mentioned that I would have rather had the Tiramisu (Selfish of me, I know)
Bruce loudly shouted "C3, Barry isn't happy with your party." I
really didn't want everyone to know about my Tiramisu thing, so I jokingly
slapped Bruce. I don't know how hard I really slapped Bruce. In hind-site it
may have been to hard.

The party continued on from there. I though everything went fine. Bruce
and I talked and joked a bit more. At the end of the night I hugged Bruce
and Chris good bye and then went home.


I've send Bruce an apology and an explanation.

Now I'm tired. I really don't care that Bruce isn't talking to me.
I'm annoyed that Bruce couldn't tell me directly how he felt.
I'm also annoyed that he waited two days to get C3 to tell me.

Mathew is surprised that I apologized. Especially since Bruce didn't confront me about it and instead broke off our friendship. If you are annoyed with someone, you say so. You don't harbor a grudge, wait a few days, end the friendship and get your parter to deliver the message.

Tonight I'm having dinner with C2. We'll see what he thinks. He was next to me Tuesday night, saw everything and has good judgement. Mathew and I can sometimes be insenstive. C2 will be blunt and honest.

No comments:

Analytics