Monday, October 30, 2023

The husband was frustrated and said, “I think I need therapy.” We had been shopping for a birthday card for his mother. Her birthday is on Monday. Finding the right card was challenging. It had to strike the right balance: communicating something cheerful, yet not actually committing my husband to saying something that implies he loves his mother.

This year's birthday is a little more complicated than usual. The husband's brother has invited their mother out for a celebratory dinner, yet not invited the husband. The husband feels he has been snubbed and doesn't know how to respond otherwise.

I stay out of this. There's no fixing that family relationship. I have no idea why my brother-in-law hasn't invited my husband to the birthday dinner. I'm going to support my husband, but I won't engage with their family dyanamics.

2 comments:

"Tommy" said...

Most husbands should take your advise there, stay out of the others family dynamics and support the spouse only

Bathwater said...

I, too, used to have difficulty picking out cars that communicated the right balance between being true to yourself and expressing the right sentiment.

Analytics