Saturday, October 14, 2023


Next week is my mother's 80th birthday. My brothers and I are all traveling to her home to celebrate. Currently, I'm in Vancouver enroute to Ottawa.

Lately, my mother has been in and out of the hospital. She's been battling a urinary tract infection, and for reasons unclear to me, she's losing blood. She requires a pint or two every few weeks. I'm unsure if my father isn't asking the doctors about it or if he's withholding information. Regardless, the medications she's been prescribed since her stroke are blood thinners, which don't help in preventing the bleeding.

One of my brothers has been sharing photos from her hospital room. She seems drowsy most of the time.

My father has opted for a smaller hospital for my mother. There are noticeably fewer patients compared to the large hospital they used before. It also seems the doctors and nurses have a smaller caseload.

Dad truly values the staff at the smaller hospital. He seems to form closer connections with them. For years, Dad drove the school bus and got to know many children in the area. It warms his heart when a nurse or orderly recalls the days he drove their children's bus.

The plans for Mom's birthday party are still up in the air. We expect her to be discharged on Sunday evening. Presuming she's out of the hospital, we'll celebrate with her at home. We'll cook a lovely dinner and have her birthday cake there.

No comments:

Analytics