Tuesday, October 24, 2023

I've been back in Seattle since Sunday. Work has been extremely intense this week. I led a ninety-minute conversation about my organization's plans with our CEO and his executive team. I believe it went well. However, there's much follow-up work to be done, and another significant presentation is due tomorrow.

So much planning. So many conversations. So many details. It's a challenge to keep up with everything. I have subscribed to the paid version of ChatGPT. I'm unsure if I'll retain the subscription for an extended period. I primarily use ChatGPT for copy editing, and the free version meets that need adequately. I can quickly dictate content, and ChatGPT tidies it up effectively.

Question... I dictated "I don't know if I'll keep it for long." and you rewrote that as " I'm unsure if I'll retain the subscription for an extended period." Tell me why you did that.

Certainly. My goal during the copy-editing process is to provide clarity and possibly a more formal or polished tone, depending on the context. Here's the reasoning behind that particular change:

1. **"I don't know" to "I'm unsure"**: Both phrases convey uncertainty, but "I'm unsure" often sounds a bit more formal or deliberate in writing.

2. **"keep it" to "retain the subscription"**: To add specificity. By specifying "retain the subscription," it clearly states the action regarding the subscription, making it transparent for readers who might not have the full context of the previous sentence.

3. **"for long" to "for an extended period"**: The phrase "for an extended period" sounds slightly more formal and specific compared to "for long."

However, it's worth noting that the original statement "I don't know if I'll keep it for long" is entirely correct and clear. The changes were made with a leaning towards formality and precision. If you prefer the original tone or feel, you should certainly stick with it!


1 comment:

Bathwater said...

ChatGPT is a worthwhile tool.

Analytics