Tuesday, July 04, 2023


I spent the day at the hospital with my mother. We spent most of the time in the cafeteria. In the cafeteria, mom convinces herself that she is in a restaurant, and becomes more at ease. 

In the cafeteria, I met Duncan, who introduced himself as "Duncan, the character from Shakespeare's play Macbeth, rather than Dunkin as in the donut chain." Accompanied by his wife, who relied on a wheelchair after a recent fall, they engaged in games and conversations with other couples.

"What is the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer? The taste."

Later, my cousin joined us, demonstrating her gift of conversation, which was particularly appreciated when spending extended time with someone with dementia. 

Later in the day, after my father returned, my mother had a seizure, which was both distressing and new for me to witness. The nurses responded swiftly, providing immediate care, and over the course of half an hour, my mother gradually recovered.

No comments:

Analytics