Monday, April 01, 2024

Roderick Asks: What Is a Vibrant Gay Community?

The succinct answer is that a vibrant gay community is a place where I don’t find myself complaining about my surroundings.

We seek a community where we can stroll to restaurants and shops, and where we have a few gay neighbors. Currently, we reside in an extremely suburban neighborhood, teeming with families and school-age children.

Deciphering my husband’s priorities is a challenge. His desire to be free of our mortgage is clear. Beyond that, he grapples with the ensuing trade-offs. If we purchase a house outright, the budget we’ll need necessitates a significant lifestyle adjustment. Not necessarily a negative change, but certainly a shift.

Wishing everyone a joyful Easter! On Sunday, we hosted an Easter brunch for my mother-in-law and a few friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the swift, precise and intelligent response. It is not easy being a minority (and I know this because I was once the only male at a conference of committed feminists - I survived.) I think I know what you are looking for, as the following tale indicates. My wife and I were walking after sundown, going back to our hotel, along the final and deserted stretch of Ala Moana Boulevard, Waikiki. In the distance, coming toward us, were two men holding hands. The moment they saw us they stopped doing so. (We had the same experience in Sweden - alas! - the Swedes being not very gay friendly.) Freedom to hold hands in public without worry is what constitutes a vibrant gay community. Roderick

Analytics