Saturday, April 13, 2024

I try to limit this blog to my personal experiences, but sometimes outside stories creep in.

SB - I've known SB for years through my husband and the rooms of AA. He is in his eighties and has a few health problems - Parkinson's and Multiple Sclerosis. A few days ago, my husband was invited to a Celebration of Life Party for SB. Of course, we assumed that SB had passed away. My husband brought this up with a friend. The friend corrected him - SB is still alive but is choosing medically assisted suicide. The Celebration of Life will be his sendoff.

This sets off all sorts of emotions in me. I don't think I could make this choice. But having watched my mother slowly decline and die, there is something to respect about choosing how you die when your future is a certain decline.

1 comment:

Bella said...

It’s a tough subject. I can’t even begin to put into words my thoughts and feelings on the matter. It’s so complex. I do think it’s beautiful that SB will be there for his own celebration of life. I can imagine it’ll be an event that brings up many different emotions for all (it’s certainly not the kind of thing one encounters every day).

If you’re interested, Terry Pratchett made an amazing documentary a few years before his death. It’s called ‘Choosing to Die’. It’s a very confronting watch, but also very beautifully done. By far the best doco on the subject that I’ve seen so far.

xx

Analytics