Friday, July 09, 2021

The brother-in-law is in a real pickle. He is still largely unconscious. He has alcohol induced hepatitis, pneumonia and some kind of blood infection. His electrolytes refuse to get into balance. He has lost a tooth and looks like shit.

This is all hard on the husband. The husband really loves his brother and deeply wants to help him. I have to watch my tongue as I feel no sympathy for the brother-in-law. The brother-in-law has been having alcoholic meltdowns for decades. For just as long, the husband has been rescuing him from the brink

The brother-in-law is not going to stay sober with a little more love, a little more help, and a renewed commitment to AA. The brother-in-law needs a radically different situation. Maybe he needs a conservatorship. Maybe he needs to be a ward of the state. Maybe we need to accept that it's just a matter of time before he drinks himself to death.


3 comments:

Bathwater said...

Was that pun intended? I am sure it is hard to sit back and watch someone you love kill themself slowly. I hope your husband can come to terms with the fact he cannot do anymore.

Harry said...

"In a pickle?" pun not intended. I think I recently watched "Bliss" a movie about addicts that also has a running joke about the phrase "In a pickle."

"Tommy" said...

He is headed to the point of no return..... its hard to watch.... if he doesn't get. a grip on it... y'all will be planning a funeral.... which I suspect is the next step.

Analytics