Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ants and Mice.

Saturday was a beautiful day. Warm, sunny, gentle breeze. There are blooms everywhere-- the rhodie across the street, the apple trees in the back yard, the rosemary in the front. RO and I were going to go to a street fair, but when we walked outside, everything smelt and felt so wonderful that we decided to work in the yard, weading and landscaping. It was worth it our yard is finally coming together.

By late afternoon it got so hot that stopped working, sat by the pond and drank pino collatas.

Later on we had a wonder full dinner. Watched some TV. Then went to bed.

While I was laying in bed, I heard a gentle scratching noise. I couldn't tell where it was from. I walked around the room, listening to the walls and roof. Finally I spotted it. It was coming from the north east ceiling.

I walked outside to take a look. I took a flashlight and looked around the eves. That's when I saw it-- flakes coming down from a crack in the boards under the eves. I pointed a flashlight at the crack and looked in-- carpenter ants.

Not good. I live in a log cabin. Wood eating bugs are bad news.

There wasn't much I could do in the middle of night. RO and I turned up the music to down out the sound of the ants. Then we went to sleep.

Bright and early next morning I went to local home supply store and invested in chemicals; bug foggers, ant and termite sprays and spikes. RO built a plastic tent around the crack, put a couple of foggers in and then sealed it up.

I placed the trap all around the house. The sprayed all the eves and the house perimeter

I heard once that a mixture of borax and sugar can kill ants. I went for the borax and poured a cup out. It was full of mouse shit. A good cup of mouse turds was on top of the borax.

That really confused me. Maybe the mice were hiding in the borax box.

Now I have to lay out mouse traps.

Bleah.

No comments:

Analytics