Monday, January 29, 2024

The weather is wonderful today, sunny and crisp. It reminded me that winter can be lovely.

We continue to refine our system, our roles and plans. The medical system provides much support for end-of-life care at home, but you have to know what to ask for. Part of that is getting the family to understand and agree on the options.

Yesterday, Mom spent much of the day sleeping. In the evening, Dad and I helped her into bed before we  watched a bit more TV. Later, as I was heading to bed, I heard Mom calling out. She was attempting to get out of bed but had become entangled in the blankets. I carefully untangled her and provided comfort, although she expressed a reluctance to lie back down. Instead, she wanted to be with Dad. I gently sat her up, placing my arm around her for support.

In her slow and labored voice, she began to speak. It became evident that she was aware of her fading memory. She explained how she had no grasp of her location or how she had arrived there. She knew that was wrong. That scared her. The only certainties she held onto was that I was her son, and that that Dad was somewhere out there. Patiently, I reassured her, explaining that she was in her home, in her bedroom, and that Dad would join her shortly. This seemed to offer solace, and her breathing gradually relaxed. I continued on, telling her that family would always be near to her, even if she couldn't see us.  I asked her more about how she felt.  She struggled to articulate her thoughts and spoke a few sentences that ultimately trailed off.


1 comment:

"Tommy" said...

Reading your post tells me of the true nature of a caring family that is gathering support for each other during this most difficult time in y'alls lives. It truly speaks to the care and love in your family.

Analytics