Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The doctor and dad have talked. Mom has stage four cancer. The doctor recommends palliative care instead of treatment. 

My brothers and I have discussed. While we don't know how long mom will live, we want to spend time with her while she can still appreciate our visit. I'm planning to fly up for a month. That's a large commitment. I need to coordinate that with my husband. We will need to figure out dog care as my husband frequently travels for work and I take care of our dog when he is out. My work should be OK with this. I'll be able to work from my parents place, though with east coast hours.

My brothers and I will stay at our parents place for this trip. One struggle with that is the spare bedroom mattresses are old and uncomfortable. They are literally the beds and mattresses we had as kids. Dad is not one to spend cash on creature comforts. My brother joked.... "If those mattresses were good enough for you when you were a kid, then they should be good enough for you as an adult." 

We are sending some mattresses to our parents. As remote as my parents are, Amazon ships there. 

My youngest brother will drive up to my parents tonight. The neighbors and family have been updated to give dad some space. When dad is ready, the visits will begin.

1 comment:

"Tommy" said...

I hope all goes according to yall's wishes. it's a difficult matter for all concerned.

Analytics