Friday, January 12, 2024

My home office window overlooks our backyard, where a hummingbird feeder has been attracting these birds for years. This morning, I noticed that the feeder had frozen due to first big dip in temperatures. This is not uncommon in the Pacific Northwest winter. Hummingbirds are equipped to handle it.




Midway through the morning, I received an email that the results of my mother’s latest chest scan were available. My mother is on the decline, sleeping more, coughing more, and eating less. My father asked me to call when the results came in, hoping they would point to the cause.

And they did. My mother’s lung cancer has returned. My husband and I read the file together, and he helped interpret the dense language spoken by doctors.

I don't think I could process the emotions of the situation so when I looked up and saw a hummingbird buzzing around the frozen feeder, I decided that I immediately needed to help the hummingbirds by providing them with a thawed feeder. I made some new hummingbird food and swapped out the frozen feeder for the fresh one with the new liquid food. Two hummingbirds rapidly flew to it, but instead of sipping from the feeder, they attacked each other and then flew away. This happened a few times. They are so greedy and territorial.

After a while, a lone hummingbird came back to the feeder and took a long drink rather than its usual quick sip. He flew away, and then the other flew in. Things could be so much better for them if they knew how to share.

I video called my parents and shared the news. My father’s voice wavered a little. I think he was also a little relieved. The cancer explains my mother’s symptoms.

Mom was frustrated with the conversation. Her dementia doesn’t allow her to remember events more than five minutes ago, so we had to catch her up and be as simple and blunt as possible about the situation: she has lung cancer, but it has not spread beyond the lungs and is treatable. In a few days, dad and she will discuss treatment with the doctors.

After the call with my parents, I informed my brothers and a close cousin. We will talk later and decide what we must do and how we can help.





No comments:

Analytics