Thursday, December 07, 2023

The rain in Seattle has been relentless, but thankfully we're not in a flood zone.

I have a coworker who bought a house a few years ago. At that time, he was surprised that the previous owner left a portable pump, sand bags, hoses and pipes in the garage. Now he understands what they are for. When the rain is heavy enough, a stream flows down the street and into his driveway. The sandbags, pump and pipes divert the water and protect his house.

Work has been especially intense lately, with some substantial last-minute deliverables that require the team to push through. Everyone is working admirably-- hard and smart. I'm proud of them.

I received two pieces of tough feedback at work that I've been reflecting on.

The first concerns an employee who has been slacking off. He's no longer keeping my boss informed and by year's end will have taken 7 weeks of vacation, not all of which is recorded in our system. I'm disappointed that I didn't catch this sooner.

The second feedback stems from a presentation I gave to our CEO several weeks ago. A colleague who now regularly briefs our CEO rewatched our presentation and shared his observations. He noting I had a tendency towards lengthy responses, which sometimes muddied the message rather than clarifying it. In retrospect, I understand my motivation. I wanted to adhere to our message and showcase our team's in-depth knowledge. However, a simple "yes" or "no" is sometimes the right answer.

2 comments:

"Tommy" said...

Tough Feedback is always hard to swallow, just got to remember where it comes from and how it was delivered. My experience is first to answer those two questions. Then decided if it was a subliminal message attached to it. . Politics usually in Louisiana, would suggest that if it came from a trusted boss, he is just trying to help, if the approach was in a negative manner, then you better watch out..

But you're in an organization that has highly motivated people and ya'lls culture is quite different also.

Bathwater said...

It is tough to see a subordinate slacking off under your watch. We have some of that going on in our office, but I am not in an official supervisor role. It is to see yourself on video sometimes. I had to sit through a Zoom call yesterday with the association lawyer. He ended every third sentence with the word "Okay." It was so annoying. All I could think was," this man talks in front of a jury."

Analytics