Sunday, December 29, 2002

I'm in Toronto now. Visting my old friends.

On my way to Liam's, I ran into my ex, Robert. It's been years since I we've talked. Rob left me for another man. I'm kind of annoyed. after Rob left me, his life picked up. He got a job, and stayed with his new BF for six years. I can't even console my self by saying "Well, Rob was better off with me."

At least Rob has got fat. Also, I got a back-handed complement from Rob's BF. The BF said to Rob about me, "Oh, so this is the one that looks like Brad Pitt." Bob replied "Yes."

Years ago running into Rob would have depressed me for days. Now he's just someone I once new.

I spent Friday night at Liam's. He had a party. About a dozen guys showed up.We stayed up, drinking and talking till 4am.

I spent Saturday with G&J and their babbies. J&M. J is almost 2 now. M is only 4 months. The babies have really changed G&J their whole life has to revolve around the children.

Saturday evening, I headed back downtown and went out with Liam and some of his friends. The Toronto gay scene is very different than Seattle's. Toronto is a big party town-- many clubs don't close till 7am. Drugs are everywhere. The club we went to, Five, has hit on an interesting formula. The crowd is leather and bears, but the bar is setup like an A-list twink bar-- crome, glass and mirors everywhere. Funky lights. Very clean. Until now every leather or bear bar I've been to has been grungy and run down.

How did Five hit on this fomula? It started out as an A-List twink bar, but the twinks were doing too many drugs and only buying water. To boost liquor sales managment gave cover-passes to drinkers-- bears and leather-men. Eventually the bears and leather-guys took over and the twinks stopped going.

It's an interesting mix. I hope it spreads to other cities.

No comments:

Analytics