Friday, March 10, 2023

As a teenager, I listened in aww to CD's. They were so clear. So perfect. Such an improvement over tapes and records.

Now streaming is here. I can call up most any song, at any time. It will be played with perfect clarity.

My mother-in-law gifted the husband her record collection. The husband bought a record player.

I resisted at first, but there is something goofy and fun about listening to vinyl. 

There should be no reason for vinyl. I live in a world where I can just say "Hey Siri, play "Come Fly With Me." and instantly listen to the best possible recording of that song.

Vinyl is work. You have to have that album, get the album out, blow the dust off, take the old record off the player, put on the new and let down the needle. Only then you get to listen. 

Vinyl is also a commitment. With streaming you can stop or skip any song at any time. With a record player, you must get up, go to the machine and lift the needle.

And yet vinyl is charming. The extra work involved encourages us to be more thoughtful and a little more committed to listening.


No comments:

Analytics