Thursday, August 26, 2021

Over the weekend, we went to an AA gay men's retreat. We've gone to this retreat four times now. I always enjoy it. It's as much a social thing as it is work on a twelve step program. Indeed, the social parts of the retreat are the reasons for its existence. Many recovering addicts have burned their past relationships. The retreat was created as an opportunity to make new acquittances and catch up with old.

I'm always a little bit of an odd duck at this retreat in that I'm not an addict and not sober. None the less, there are a few regular attendees at the retreat that I would like to stay in touch with. 

There is an author who moves around the country depending on the time. of year. He spends early summer in Alaska. He likes August in the Pacific North West.

There is another man, who only has one  leg. In his past life, he lived around the world. I say "lived around the world" and not "traveled around the world" He lived in many countries in Asia and Central America until his travels came to an end when he lost his leg in Mexico. Now he lives full time in PV, though he spends a month a year in the PNW. He is one of the calmest and most approachable people I've met. 

Hmmm. What does it say about me that I want a few friends who are nomads? Perhaps I am traveling by proxy.

1 comment:

Bohemian said...

Nomadic Life is something I spent the first half of my Life doing and I enjoyed it very much, it exposed me to so much more than if I'd stayed put in one place a long time. Now we're Older and our Retirement has afforded us a chance to settle down in one place, I like that too tho'. Each can be good thing depending upon your perspective. Traveling by proxy is Fun too, I Love to hear people's Stories from all their Travels. Especially now we can't Travel anymore and cannot fulfil any Wanderlust that may still be lingering.

Analytics