Friday, March 19, 2021




Rufus is back! Or a Rufous humming bird is back. 

Last spring a rufous humming bird took over our back yard and chased other hummingbirds away. I would watch him through the day. He brightened up my COVID experience. But then, as Rufous's do, towards the end of summer, he few away.

Our humming bird feeders are never unused. For most of the winter they are frequented by Anna's hummingbirds which are an iridescent green. Yesterday I briefly spotted an orange blur chasing an Anna away. I cleaned and refilled the feeders outside my office window. I got the camera ready.

Honestly don't know that this is the same Rufous from last year. In the spring Rufous hummingbirds migrate from Mexico all the way up to Alaska, so this one could be passing through. 

1 comment:

Bohemian said...

What magnificent pixs you captured of the fast little Guy. We have one nesting on our back patio this Spring, she has 2 Babies and a fabulously constructed re-used nest from a previous year. I almost took it down for my Naturalist Collection before I realized they re-use the nests sometimes and it was 'occupied'... whew... glad I malingered and didn't mess with it... now a whole new crop of Hummers will be raised in it.

Analytics