Saturday, November 17, 2018

I spent much of Saturday with AS. He is an old coworker, who also happened to be in Bangalore for other reasons. My company large presence in India. There are many reasons for the Americans to go to Bangalore without too much coordination.

We had breakfast together and then went shopping at a nearby mall. On our way out, the hotel security was concerned that we were walking. They wanted us to take a driver. We walked anyways. Both of us are used to the chaos that is Bangalore traffic. The mall was very Westernized, which is a little disappointing. There was some Indian men's clothing there. However, I am too tall for that. They don't carry my size.

I am substantially taller than most everyone on the streets. I get a lot of looks from that.


Currently I am on my way back home. My total travel time, door to door, will be about 32 hours. This gives me much time to reflect. To mull things over. To look for improvements.

One conclusion-- I don't spend enough time reflecting & improving. The day to day problem solving soak up all that time. In that respect, going to Bangalore was useful, just top pop me out of my routine. Thanks to the time difference, all things urgent had to be handled by my team. And they did a good job. I must continue to let them do so.

Another is that I don't connect with my network enough. Again, I'm hiding behind the day to day problems. Also, I have a tendency to isolate. Sometimes that's good, when I'm using downtime to recharge. But, sometimes I'm just goofing off, reading social media. I could use my time better. By reaching out to friends. By writing.

I also have a long track record of failed attempts at self-improvements. Recently I've become a bit better at forward planning. But, I still have a long way to go.

We shall see. 

1 comment:

"Tommy" said...

Self Analyst is interesting to say the lest.

As we all have our time in the barrel so to speak, its always good to re-charge and self reflect. One of my meausres was to go fly fishing when I was a Warden in the LaDOC, the quiet stream, a good cigar, flask of whiskey and the temps at 40 degrees...

Its time for your to concentrate on the trout... great problems are solved at the end of a fishing line.

Analytics