Sunday, March 17, 2024

What a gorgeous day! I went on a hike with some old friends earlier. Even though we brought jackets just in case, a t-shirt was all that was necessary thanks to the beautiful warm weather.

For some time now, my husband and I have been keeping an eye on real estate listings in various areas around the Pacific Northwest. These could potentially be our future retirement home. We love our current house, but it's simply too large for just the two of us. We'd also prefer to live closer to a vibrant gay community and be within walking distance of shops and restaurants. Additionally, Seattle real estate has become quite pricey. By relocating elsewhere, we could pay off our mortgage entirely and still afford a wonderful home.

This past Saturday, a very nice property popped up on the market west of Puget Sound that ticked many of the boxes for both of us. My husband was quite excited about it and reached out to a real estate agent right away. As expected, the agent asked the obvious financial questions - are we truly ready to make such a move?

The property is about a 90-minute drive from where I currently work. Now, while I only commute to the office once a week these days, I find myself hesitating. Is this the right timing for such a life transition? It's an odd feeling, but I'm just not quite ready to pull that trigger yet. My husband and I have had some good conversations unpacking these thoughts. When will we both feel prepared to take that next step? Only time will tell.




Let me know if you'd like me to modify or expand anything in this combined draft blog post.






3 comments:

Bathwater said...

I keep seeing people saying property values are going to crash this year. Of course, I saw that last year too.

Anonymous said...

Do you really want to be compelled to drive - one day each week - for THREE HOURS in all types of weather in the years remaining until your retirement? Are the house itself and its location attractive enough to justify so doing? Roderick

"Tommy" said...

Be careful is all that I can contribute... major life decisions should be weighed for a long and from many angles/sides.

Analytics