Tuesday, April 25, 2023

We've been discussing the retirement more seriously. J, a friend of mine, decided she wants to retire around age 55. As lucrative as her job is, she hates it. 

That got the husband and I talking. We are doing our jobs, more for the money than because it's our calling.

The husband's said that he doesn't want to retire until after his mother dies. That's a clear qualifier. Sometimes his mother does need emergency cash. Us having jobs is a nice safety net.

Last night we had dinner with her. She is constantly on oxygen for COPD. Her travel oxygen machine is breaking down so she has to stay close to power at all times. This is fine while she is at her retirement home. It's more complicated when she wants to go out. We spent a good amount of time discussing the type of machine she needed, and the complexities of Medicare.




2 comments:

Bohemian said...

Medicare does cover some things, but not everything. Retiring does mean a fixed income and it is an adjustment, Retiring early is a careful consideration, but possible. I had to do it when I had to become a full time unpaid Caregiver to my ailing Spouse and be raising Two Special Needs Grandkids. It was scary, but I have never regret putting Family first and there is absolutely nothing I miss about the Corporate Grind. I hope you can work it out satisfactorily, helping Parents was something I did in their latter years too... enjoy them while they are still on this side of time and eternity.

Bathwater said...

It is hard to let go of a lucrative job and retire. I have been making financial plans to enable retirement, but I still feel like I will work for another 10 years.

Analytics