Tuesday, July 05, 2022

I now have access to mom's medical file and can see the details. She has Alzheimers and lung cancer. The cancer is slow and hasn't spread. It will be a few weeks before we meet with the oncologist to discuss next steps. That last part is frustrating. Her previous oncologist has left that hospital.

The husband is taking his relapse seriously. He is working closely with his sponsor and keeping himself busy-- meetings every day-- proper self care.  I have to let him do his thing. There is nothing I can do to help him stay sober.

My family and I are reflecting on mom and discreetly discussing how to manage her care. She looks healthy despite the radiation treatment. I hope she beats the cancer. We can only manage her Alzheimer's. What does the rest of her life look like?

1 comment:

Bohemian said...

Relapse with Addictions is always difficult for Family... we've moved thru that as a Family and I don't envy you in the Dealing with it and making the tough decisions. The Son has been Clean over a Year now, but still struggles with remaining sober and so Alcoholism has been more of a challenge for him than Drug Addiction dependency on Opiods for Pain Management. I think the Medical System, as it stands, has created many of the problems prescription abuse and overuse caused... Big Pharma has profited too much off the misery of drug dependency they created with 'Legal' Drugs that are Addictive. As for your Dear Mom, what a tough thing to try to mediate, Cancer and Age related Mental decline is definitely a difficult diagnosis to navigate for Quality of Life for whatever time is left. I lost my Mom to Dementia and my Dad to complications from Physical decline and terminal illness, it's never easy to see them suffer so at the end of life. Hugs. You got A LOT going on.

Analytics