Thursday, October 12, 2000

Years ago I kept a journal of all the things that happened in my life. But then I stopped. I got dumped. The computer was 'our' computer. My journal documented the events leading up to the dumping. It was too much to face. I stopped.

I'm much more cheerful now.

Now I'm going to restart. I'm going to keep a journal. This time on the web. For now I'm going to changes name to protect the innocent. The people in my life are relativly private. They don't need to see my analysis of their and my lives posted for all to see.

The story so far...

I work-- a lot-- at a software company in Redmond WA. And that's about it. I'm trying to develop a life. I've decided that money isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've met very few millionares whom I respect, and want to model my life after. It seems that the big bucks come to those who are willing to sacrifce everything, but what it takes to make big bucks.

We just shipped our product. So now I have a lot of free time on my hands. It's strange. Every day used to be, get up, go to work, go home, go to bed. My garbage only contained toilet paper tubes, cerial boxes and milk cartons. But now I have time. It's liberating, and scary. At first I spent many hours on sex chats, getting frustrated, and well, other stuff. Then I got sick of that. I was waisting a gift, a valuable comodity. So now I'm trying to balance my self. But, more on that later.

What happened today... I went to work. One of guys I work with, Mac, is leaving for another state. My manager and I went out for beers with him. We envited a lot of people along, but no one showed. My works like that. Everyone kind of keeps to themselves. With some more advanced planning we could have got others to show up, especially if we conviced some one higher up to come-- that would turn it into a company event and give the ambitious someone to schmooze with. But alas, it was just me, my manager and Mac. The talk was plesent. We remaniced about the old days, in a geeky way. We talked about computers that only had 4 colours. 360k floppies and tape drives. Sigh, I'm only 30, and I'm starting to tell stories that go "I remember when.... and we liked it!"

No comments:

Analytics