Tuesday, July 30, 2013

DC

I'm in Washington DC for a week. It's a wonderful city. So much to see. I will come back.
 
I'm reminded how new the places I've lived are. Here the history is real and thick. Many buildings are very old. The museums have much art from centuries gone by. Of course the National Archive has the original U.S. Constitution.
 
I've been to the Lincoln memorial three times. It's always crowded, late at night, early in the morning. Hundreds of people climb the steps.
 
Green paint was sprayed on Lincoln while I was here. News says the vandal was a mentally ill homeless woman.
 
Lincoln's great speeches are on the side of the memorial.  People walk right up to the statue of Lincoln and take many photos of him.  But people stay away from the speeches and take fewer photos.  We joked that this is because Americans are ignorant of lincoln's words.  I think the reality is that pictures of the words just aren't that photographic.  Especially when compared to the statue of Lincoln.
 
I wanted to meditate at the memorial.  I've read so much about its profound effects on people.  But the memorial is crowded and loud.  Not the place where one can sit and think.
 
At the national gallery of art there are many wonderful paintings.  I want to gush here.
 
C2 is here.  He is back from Afghanistan and now working in Washington.  He may be dating someone.  If it doesn't work out he said he will head off to Syria.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Analytics