Friday, February 02, 2007

Gas Theft.

This morning around 5:30am, I heard a loud banging at the front door. It was a neighbor. He told me that someone tried to steal gas from my truck! The neighbor said he scared them off.

I went outside and took a look at my truck. Gas was dripping out of it and into a gas can underneath. I thanked the neighbor. We chatted a bit and he drove off.

I called 911 and reported the incident. While I was on the phone, the neighbor drove back and said he spotted the theives and got the license plate number! I relayed the info to the police.

After a while, the police showed up and took my information. We looked around the tank and couldn't see any obvious damage. I poured some of the gas from the can into the truck. It poured out of a few very well drilled holes in the truck's tank-- damage spotted.

The officer told me these thieves were not that bright. The proper way to steal gas is to put a tray or can under the vehicle, punch a hole and then leave. After ten or fifteen minutes you return to collect the gas. That way no one sees a stranger hanging around a neighbor's vehicle.

Around 7:30am I called to have my truck towed to the service center. The towing company told me to call back after 8:00am. Rather than wait I decided to risk the drive. The service center was only five miles away. Worst-case, I'd run out of gas and need a tow.

I actually enjoyed the ride. I kept telling my truck "Come on baby, you can make it. I love you. I know you can do it." The truck drove smoothly despite the empty tank. We made it without hitch.

As it turns out, I was the second gas-tank-puncture the service center had that morning.

I got a small loaner car and headed home. On my way back I retraced the route to the service center. You could see the trail of dripping gas left by the truck. Bigger at stop signs. Smaller when going fast.

1 comment:

"Tommy" said...

who steals gas these days.

gee.......

must be some out of school juveees.

Analytics