Sunday, July 19, 2026

In the 1950s, my family church was founded by Dutch immigrants. Today, half of the congregation are my blood relatives. The other half are family friends. The after-sermon coffee is a great way to catch up with people I’ve known my whole life.

The church doctrine is very conservative. Take 1 Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet." Some members take this seriously. 

I’ve had an uncle and an aunt leave our church entirely after a woman guest pastor preached there.

Don't get me started on what the Bible says about homosexuality.

Mist of congregation is welcoming. When my husband and I visit, they are warm and engaging. The conservative side pops up in the sermons. 

So when my husband and I attend, I brace myself. About a third the time the sermon will contain something that raises my eyebrows.

During today's sermon, the guest pastor went down that path. I heard my husband groan. Later, my brother said he was ready to walk out mid-sermon.

Afterward, we discussed with my father. His take? "This guy was too political. I've heard he's been asked to leave churches before."

Thank you dad! 

1 comment:

"Tommy" said...

Yes, Your Father is a true Father, defending his son in a dignified way.

Analytics