Saturday, January 01, 2022

Our home, Seattle has had a huge dump of snow. Toronto is above freezing and clear of snow. Our Toronto friends are bugging us about this.

Our aging parents is a large topic of conversation amongst my generation. We must love them and care for them while we can. 

For my future reference... all the people we visited last week...

Flew in Saturday the 25th. Flights were delayed and rescheduled owing to COVID, but we made it late in the day.

26th we drove to my brothers for a wonderful dinner. 

Monday... We had a social distant visit with my aunt R. She ended up being hospitalized later that day. Long story, but she is in her eighties and has been in and hospital for a while. 

Tuesday we visited my cousin B for coffee and then had dinner with my cousins A,A,H,M. 

H is a fine wood carver. He can make decoy ducks that almost look real. My parent's farm has a large bush around it. H and my Dad work together to fell the right trees and turn them into wood that H will later carve. He likes having access to the wood on their farm because he doesn't feel bad if he makes a mistake. Dad likes working with H to produce the wood.

Wednesday we cooked a nice lunch for my parents and my uncle J. In the afternoon we had coffee with a friend and old neighbor, N

Wednesday evening, the husband I took time off from visiting and had a great dinner at a local restaurant.

Thursday the husband and I had an outdoor visit with an old high school friend. In the afternoon we took care of mom while dad ran errands and visited my hospitalized aunt.

While we watched mom,, about every ten to fifteen minutes, mom would ask where dad was. We would patiently explain that he was visiting Aunt R. Mom would respond by telling us the same story about my aunt.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to state that, while I have never previously left a comment, I very much enjoy your blog and look for new entries. Have a good 2022, if that is possible, Roderick. P.S. Yes, aged parents with memory loss are not something that we were taught about in school!

Bathwater said...

Yes, if the body doesn't betray you when you get old, it seems the mind does. I am not looking forward to what it will be for me. I never thought about taking care of my parents. They always seemed strong. It came on suddenly when it happened.

Analytics