Sunday, June 12, 2022

"I felt a calling to be a sex therapist and relationship councilor."

Last night we had dinner with another couple that we know. They are a good couple. Over the course of the evening, the topic of second careers and retirement came up. What should we do to bring meaning to our lives? One of this couple was formerly in the tech industry. For years he has been transitioning to sex therapy and relationship counseling-- getting his masters degree and the required other trainings. 

I am sometimes envious of those with callings. I've never had a calling. I have some skills that are lucrative-- mathematics, software engineering, organizational behavior. And I have sold those skills for a good chunk of change. But I don't feel called to do so.

Very long ago I read that the quest for a calling can be dangerous (The Pleasures and Sorry of Work by Alain De Botton) People will cast their lives about looking for a calling, jumping from job to job. Really there is no choice you can make that will eliminate uncertainty or failure. You have to tackle every day with all your energy, never really knowing what the future may bring. The quest for a calling can a be an crutch to justify not engaging deeply with life.

But then there are those who do find a calling. 

Now-- a calling to be a sex therapist. I wanted to deeply dig into that one. I didn't do so. I felt like it would be too easy for that conversation to go off into the weeds. Would my questions come across as mocking? Would the husband feel comfortable listening to me asking many questions of another man who is comfortable talking about sex? Would I want to listen to my husband asking those same questions? As gay men we get to push the limits of behavior in polite company. 

Perhaps my calling is to be the Miss Manners for a sexually progressive crowd. What is proper etiquette when your hosts show you their workshop/sex-play-room and you don't want to encourage any sexual advances, yet you don't want to come across as disapproving?


 

1 comment:

Bathwater said...

lol, I guess you compliment the size of the room or the drapes?

Analytics