Friday, June 18, 2021

The visit with the mother-in-law is going well. Each day, she and the husband tour a few retirement homes. She has found one that has a nice balance of being pleasant and affordable.

She is disappointed that her other son, my brother-in-law, is too drunk to see her. 

We haven't heard from the brother-in-law today. He's been calling once a day to give us a drunk-update. Yesterday he cried over the fact that his drinking was making him sick and that he still couldn't stop. 

"Why don't you pour it out?" the husband suggested.

"I don't know.... I'm not ready yet." the brother-in-law replied.

As a non-addict, I don't understand the desire to hurt yourself so much. Maybe I no longer care. 

If someone runs their life into the ground, I may help them up once. At some point I've got to let go and let them figure it out for them self.

1 comment:

Bohemian said...

Substance Abuse is very long reaching in it's carnage it inflicts. Glad the MIL may be finding just the right Placement, that should give her Good Son the Peace of Mind he really needs... the Prodigal Son probably isn't even Aware enough to Care until and unless he sobers up. Like you, I have a very low tolerance for Addictions because I've had to Deal with Loved Ones all my Life who were afflicted and it makes no sense to me, when Family History is evident, that they ever took that first Drink or Drug, you know? It's not like they couldn't see the Train Wrecks in the Ancestry as a Dire Warning!

Analytics